In the late 1800’s there were two bowling greens in Shepshed, one at the “Bottom Green” by the side of the old Britannia Inn, and the other at the “Top Green” behind the Pied Bull Public House. It is believed that this may have originally been a farm and the farmers and their workers gathered (especially at Wakes time) to play a game of bowls. Unfortunately the fate of this Club is lost in the mists of time.
More organised bowling was taking place at the “Bottom Green” and in 1913 the Club had to find new premises to make way for the new cinema to be built. Shepshed Town Bowls Club, as it was now known, found its way to Charnwood Road where it has flourished ever since.
Always outgoing and socially minded the Club contributed to the local community during the 1st World War by entertaining wounded soldiers stationed at Garendon Park.
The club continued to flourish over the years winning many trophies, both locally and nationally, and producing players who played for the County, and even some who went on to play for their Country - a notable achievement for such a small community.
In 1962 ladies were allowed to become members and the ladies section has proved to be a real asset to the Club, again producing top class bowlers who have played for both County and Country. As with the gentlemen, many local and national trophies have been won over the years.
Still highly competitive, entering many competitions each season, the Club is still aware of it’s roots and actively encourages friendly games between local teams to enable the less competitive bowler to participate in the sport. Always happy to welcome new bowlers we have a qualified coach to help and advise - both newcomers and even established bowlers at times.
As well as having what is acknowledged as “one of the best bowling greens in the County” the Club has a Club House where socialising takes place after games and during the closed season. Our monthly quiz nights during the winter months have proved very popular with both members and non members. In the summer Friday night 'Chummy Nights' give the opportunity for some social bowling and refreshments.
In 2015 extensive alterations to the Club House have enhanced the Club's meeting and eating facilities, with a new bar, kitchen and designated toilet for disabled guests and visitors.
The Club house is available for hire by the public, thus maintaining the links that were forged between the Club and the wider community at the very beginning.